[CMake] Effort to create a new generator (tup)

Mike Shal marfey at gmail.com
Fri May 7 10:32:29 EDT 2010

On 5/6/10, Bill Hoffman <bill.hoffman at kitware.com> wrote:
> On 5/6/2010 12:59 PM, Jed Brown wrote:
>

> > Rebuilding with modified Tupfiles is not a problem, and will only build
> > what is necessary.  But:
> >
> >   Tup doesn't support generating the Tupfiles themselves from other
> >   programs. If you do that, you would need to run a separate program to
> >   generate them before running 'tup upd'. I would hope that tup is
> >   expressive enough that you don't feel the need to generate the
> >   Tupfiles, though.
> >

> http://groups.google.com/group/tup-users/msg/2b16ad647bda6c7c
> >

> > Maybe this will change, preferably by coming up with a clean way to
> > express the dependency.
> >

>  That would be a serious problem.  As folks would expect to be able to edit
> a CMakeLists.txt file (the input to cmake), run tup, and have the right
> stuff happen.

Is the normal mode of operation to run 'cmake' followed by 'make'? Do
you not need to run 'cmake' ever again because 'make' is setup to
re-create the Makefiles from CMakeLists.txt as appropriate? Does that
work if you add new directories and such? Sorry for the noob questions
- I'm still trying to learn how you expect things to work.

-Mike