[CMake] Effort to create a new generator (tup)

Jed Brown jed at 59A2.org
Thu May 6 11:37:37 EDT 2010

On Thu, 6 May 2010 17:32:28 +0200, Michael Wild <themiwi at gmail.com> wrote:
> Ugh, yes. So this should be (does tup accept absolute source file paths?)
>
> /path/to/a.f90 |> gfortran -c -o %o %f |> %B.o %B.mod

No problem on the source paths, but I think this should be

  /path/to/a.f90 |> gfortran -c -o %B.o %f |> %B.o %B.mod

> Yes, currently circular dependencies are generated. But I consider
> this to be an error on the user side... Otherwise the dependency
> scanner doesn't need to rerun, since the file that was modified to use
> another module needs to be recompiled anyways, triggering a recompile
> for all the downstream files.

I agree that it's a user error (I don't think the Fortran standard
defines this to evaluate to the least fixed point if one exists).  But
something correct (an error) should be generated by the build system in
this case.

Jed