[CMake] installation problem

Alan W. Irwin irwin at beluga.phys.uvic.ca
Sun May 2 18:49:19 EDT 2010

On 2010-05-02 14:53-0700 Zhuang Song wrote:

> Hi Bill,
>
> Thank you for pointing this out. I did try several times to install
> CMake. When I started with a clean build/source tree, I got a lot of
> other errors in bootstrap.  I tried to attach the output of bootstrap with error
> messages, but it was hold by the maillist moderator because the file
> size exceeded
> the limit. Anyway, the final message is: "Curses libraries were not found.
> Curses GUI for CMake will not be built."
>
> My system is AMD x86-64, GNU/Linux 2.6.9.

That is an extraordinarily old kernel likely accompanied by an old Linux
distribution as well.  Is that RHEL 4 (which does use kernel 2.6.9) or one
of its clones?  RHEL 4 came out in 2005.

> When I compile from the
> source code of CMake, I was wondering if the source code of CMake for
> Linux (version 2.8.1) has any issue with 64 bit Linux system.

Certainly there are no issues here with bootstrapping CMake-2.8.1 using a
reasonably modern Linux distro (Debian Lenny with kernel 2.6.26) on my own
AMD x86-64 hardware. So I wonder whether your issue has something to do with
the special circumstances of your old distro.  For example, the CMake-2.8.1
build may be assuming something about Linux systems that was not correct way
back in 2005.

Have you tried bootstrapping an older CMake system from the 2005 era? If
that works, you may want to bisect the problem until you find the most
modern CMake version that is compatible with your Linux distro.

Alan
Alan W. Irwin

(lbproject.sf.net).