[CMake] exe and dll vs. pdb and idb files (was RE: CMAKE_RUNTIME_OUTPUT_DIRECTORY without the extra'Debug' or 'Release' ?)

Ryan Pavlik rpavlik at iastate.edu
Fri Mar 26 11:47:39 EDT 2010

On 3/26/10 9:40 AM, Brad King wrote:
> David.Karr at L-3COM.COM wrote:
>
>> One thing you can do with one directory full of .exe and .dll files is
>> to copy it somewhere else—to an arbitrary directory on another computer,
>>
> Perhaps the install() command is better for that.
>
> -Brad

What I've done for develop-time handling of DLL search path, etc. is to
write a CMake module with a function that effectively just generates a
.cmd (or .bat or .sh) file that changes the current directory, prepends
the DLL directories to the PATH environment variable (on windows, or
LD_LIBRARY_PATH on Linux...) then runs the executable.  If you include
the "change directory" line, you could effectively put this generated
script anywhere after creating it.

Ryan

--
Ryan Pavlik
Human-Computer Interaction Graduate Student

rpavlik at iastate.edu
http://academic.cleardefinition.com/