[CMake] chicken and egg q: Can CMakeLists.txt generate CTestConfig.cmake during configuration?

Tue Jun 1 10:01:15 EDT 2010

On Fri, May 28, 2010 at 5:11 PM, David Cole <david.cole at kitware.com> wrote:
> CTestConfig.cmake should be downloaded from CDash and committed into your
> source tree manually before configuring and before your first dashboard
> submission.

That's what I figured, but I didn't know  exactly how it fit into things.

> Why do you think you want to generate it?

Well, we've gotten to the point where we can use ExternalProjects for
all the libraries we depend on (ITK,VTK, etc). We also have
CMakeLists.txt for each of our projects on NITRC that builds all the
prerequisites, then builds the project itself as an external project.

So for each of these projects, there's a CMakeLists.txt file that
differs only in the name of the project, and each of our
CTestConfig.cmake files differ only in the name of the project. So the
next step would be to get rid of the individual files for each
project, and generate them during initial CMake configuration.

Now that I think about it, we could generate the CMakeLists.txt and
CTestConfig.cmake at the top level configuration time, since we're
building our own projects as ExternalProjects.  Again, it could be an
issue of timing -- at configuration time, we'd have to configure those
files into a subdirectory, before configuring the ExternalProject that
needs those files to configure itself.