[CMake] [cmake-developers] Bug fix requests for the *next* release of CMake...

Olaf van der Spek olafvdspek at gmail.com
Thu Jul 29 18:24:26 EDT 2010

On Fri, Jul 30, 2010 at 12:16 AM, Michael Jackson
<mike.jackson at bluequartz.net> wrote:
>    I am saying that in the past 10 years of programming I found that there
> is NO standard, even within an Operating System itself. Some projects like a
> combined build of debug and release libraries with a "d" suffix on ALL
> platforms (Qt) even though OS X would have then put "_debug". Another
> library, ITK, _really_ wants you to have distinct Debug and Release
> installation locations. They don't use ANY decorations. Boost, well, they
> went slap happy with their decorations and don't follow ANY standard (either
> perceived or real).
> The point is that if you want to integrate into any of those environments
> you better understand _their_ naming conventions, whether those conventions

Why would the naming convention have to match?

> integrate with your chosen build environment and whether you are going to
> perpetuate someone else's "standard" or not. I'll leave the philosophical
> debate for somewhere else. After considering ALL of those factors (plus any
> thing else you deem important) then you make your decision about whether or
> not to decorate your libraries. Having the choice to do so is what CMake
> offers. To YOU, the default (no decorations) is WRONG. To the rest of us,
> the default is RIGHT.

Why?
I'm still waiting for someone to post a reason of why a decorated name
is a problem for them.
Also waiting on an answer to the code duplication issue.

>   Your solution is valid. I will give you that. But the Default you propose
> is still wrong to the rest of us. If your solution was implemented but had a
> default of NO decoration you would still complain.

I might complain, but that situation would be better than the current situation.

> As it is now CMake offers
> the functionality you want.

It doesn't. I'd like CMake to generate libs with unique names and it doesn't...

Olaf