[CMake] [cmake-developers] Bug fix requests for the *next* release of CMake...

Michael Jackson mike.jackson at bluequartz.net
Thu Jul 29 18:16:35 EDT 2010

     I am saying that in the past 10 years of programming I found that
there is NO standard, even within an Operating System itself. Some
projects like a combined build of debug and release libraries with a
"d" suffix on ALL platforms (Qt) even though OS X would have then put
"_debug". Another library, ITK, _really_ wants you to have distinct
Debug and Release installation locations. They don't use ANY
decorations. Boost, well, they went slap happy with their decorations
and don't follow ANY standard (either perceived or real).
   The point is that if you want to integrate into any of those
environments you better understand _their_ naming conventions, whether
those conventions integrate with your chosen build environment and
whether you are going to perpetuate someone else's "standard" or not.
I'll leave the philosophical debate for somewhere else. After
considering ALL of those factors (plus any thing else you deem
important) then you make your decision about whether or not to
decorate your libraries. Having the choice to do so is what CMake
offers. To YOU, the default (no decorations) is WRONG. To the rest of
us, the default is RIGHT.
    Your solution is valid. I will give you that. But the Default you
propose is still wrong to the rest of us. If your solution was
implemented but had a default of NO decoration you would still
complain. As it is now CMake offers the functionality you want.
Mike Jackson                      www.bluequartz.net
Principal Software Engineer       mike.jackson at bluequartz.net
BlueQuartz Software               Dayton, Ohio