[CMake] [cmake-developers] Bug fix requests for the *next* release of CMake...

Olaf van der Spek olafvdspek at gmail.com
Thu Jul 29 18:01:05 EDT 2010

On Thu, Jul 29, 2010 at 11:54 PM, Michael Wild <themiwi at gmail.com> wrote:
> If CMake made the choice, somebody (i.e. exactly ONE person) would be a happy camper, all the others would have froth in front of their mouths...

Why?

> It is trivial to add the decoration yourself, if you must wrap add_executable and add_library in a custom function which sets the properties appropriately.

Sounds like tons of code duplication, which might be trivial but is
not a good thing.

>>> And yes, especially as a library developer you have to be aware of things.
>>
>> Why?
>
> A library developer has to think of everything. Otherwise the library is useless.

Everything is a big word. Of course I disagree with you. Ever heard of
abstractions? They're there so one doesn't have to bother with all the
details.
With CMake, I don't have to think about how to build stuff on tons of
different platforms, CMake abstracts that for me. I don't see why it
can't do the same for naming.

Olaf