[CMake] [cmake-developers] Bug fix requests for the *next* release of CMake...

Eric Noulard eric.noulard at gmail.com
Thu Jul 29 12:33:44 EDT 2010

2010/7/5 David Cole <david.cole at kitware.com>:
> Hi all,
> Now that we have released CMake 2.8.2 last Monday, and we have switched to
> this new workflow using branches in the git repository, *now* would be a
> great time to prioritize bug fixes for the next release of CMake.
> We are leaning towards quarterly releases from now on, scheduling them every
> 3 months. That would make the next release of CMake version 2.8.3 and
> scheduled to have an "rc1" release candidate in approximately mid-September,
> 2010.
> If you have a particular issue that you think should be fixed for inclusion
> in 2.8.3, please bring it up now. Ideally, each issue will be discussed as
> needed on the mailing list to come to any consensus about what should be
> done to fix it, and then an entry in the bug tracker may be used to keep it
> on the radar screen, and to track activity related to it.
> Patches are always welcome. Patches that include testing of any new
> features, or tests that prove a bug is really fixed on the dashboards,
> basically any patch with testing is preferred over a patch with no testing.
> Also, if you are *adding* code, then you also probably need to add *tests*
> of that code, so that the coverage percentage stays as is or rises.
> Please discuss issues here as needed, and add notes to existing issues in
> the bug tracker that you are interested in seeing fixed for 2.8.3 -- we will
> be looking at the mailing list and activity in the bug tracker to help
> prioritize the bug fixes that will occur in the next several weeks.
>
> Thanks,
> David Cole
> Kitware, Inc.

So here goes my own list.

I'd like to fix 2 annoying relatively long-standing bugs:

1) "Make CPack generic generator delegate the name of the file to
specific generator"

    (may be fixed together with
     http://public.kitware.com/Bug/view.php?id=10736)

2)  CPack RPM generator should always "CPACK_SET_DESTDIR"

1) Should come first because it will help fix others "depending" bugs
related to this
one and makes it possible to use "standard" package name for at least
RPM and DEB.
May be it can be fixed together with
http://public.kitware.com/Bug/view.php?id=10736.
The idea would be for the CPack generic generator to offer a "new
compresFiles API"
in which the name of the package is both an input AND an output. Moreover
the output should be a vector of filenames and not a single filename.

2) In the same way this one is blocking some pending features for CPackRPM
    (or CPackDEB) and the issue is raising from time to time on the list.

May be interested people could add themselves to the monitor list of
those bugs.

--
Erk
http://www.april.org