[CMake] [VS gen] Multiple configurations code

John Drescher drescherjm at gmail.com
Mon Jul 26 16:31:27 EDT 2010

On Mon, Jul 26, 2010 at 4:24 PM, Olaf van der Spek <olafvdspek at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Mon, Jul 26, 2010 at 10:12 PM, David Cole <david.cole at kitware.com> wrote:
>>> Is there a problem with multiple configures / build trees?
>>
>> No, not at all. We do this all the time. But again, I thought from your
>> questions that you were trying to do it all in one build tree.
>
> I'm not familiar with the term build tree.
>
> Let's describe what I'd like:
> I've got a single CMakeLists.txt for a lib named "xbt". I've got xbt.h
> and xbt.cpp. I'm using VS (2010).
> With a few simple commands, I should be able to build and package all
> possible configurations of this lib.
> In the ideal case, this would be cmake ., nmake ... or similar.
>
> It should not be necessary to modify CMakeLists or to have multiple
> copies of the source.

You do not have multiple copies of the source. You have 1 copy of the
source that you build in multiple trees. For me I build 32 and 64 bit
for multiple compilers. They all share the same source tree but have
different build trees.

For example my source is in

X:\CmakeBased

My builds are in

X:\32bit\vs.71
X:\32bit\vs.80
X:\32bit\vs.90

X:\64bit\vs.80
X:\64bit\vs.90

For each build I need to open the appropriate project file in the build tree.

John