[CMake] Auxiliary fortran link libraries?

Brad King brad.king at kitware.com
Tue Jul 20 13:49:45 EDT 2010

On 07/20/2010 09:45 AM, Theodore Papadopoulo wrote:
> On 07/19/2010 08:43 PM, Brad King wrote:
>> Note that if you use the *shared* libblas.so and liblapack.so then
>> you do not need to list the implementation dependencies explicitly.
>>
> This may not be true everywhere or forever...
> Actually this feature is being dropped in future fedora releases
> (starting from F13 or F14 I do
> not remember), as it is seen as a security improvement (each app
> developper/packager now
> has to know explicitely all the libraries that need to be linked with
> his code).

If libfoo.so links to libz.so as part of its implementation there is
no reason that my application that includes foo.h and links to libfoo
should ever have to know about this implementation detail.  I cannot
believe any distro would change that.  What I can believe is that if
my application includes zlib's headers *then* it needs to link libz
explicitly rather than depending on it coming in through libfoo.

Are you saying that the former is true, that suddenly all implementation
dependencies of shared libraries will be exposed to applications?

> By the way, somewhat related to this discussion, I have a modified
> version of the FortranCInterface.cmake
> that introduces a way of testing Fortran mangling from an existing
> library

Nice.  Can you please format this as a patch series against v2.8.2?
You can fork on github or send via email with git format-patch.
That will make it much easier to evaluate.

Thanks,
-Brad