[CMake] Quieting/speeding output

Kevin Fitch kfitch42 at gmail.com
Sun Jul 11 11:40:58 EDT 2010

I am transitioning from a make based build system to cmake, overall I am
quite happy with cmake, but currently there are two snags:

1) The main project I am doing this on is quite large, it produces about 300
targets. So, when I type 'make' I get 300 or so lines of "[ 27%] Built
target blah..." even when there is nothing (or very little) to do. This is
quite annoying. I tried messing with CMAKE_RULE_MESSAGES. I just added
-DCMAKE_RULE_MESSAGES=OFF to the cmake invocation. But that didn't seem to
help.

2) The follow on to this is that a 'do-nothing' build still takes about 4
seconds (or about 1.25 seconds for "make -j". The previous make based build
was effectively instantaneous for a 'do-nothing' build. The do-nothing (or
do very little) build is the common case so I hate to regress that far.

Where should I be looking to address these issues?

I suspect (2) is a result of cmake generating a recursive make system (as
opposed to the current make based system we have that uses recursive
includes, instead of recursive make calls).

Kevin