[CMake] Subversion_WC_INFO macro should not do SEND_ERROR

Marcel Loose loose at astron.nl
Wed Jan 27 03:03:50 EST 2010

On Tue, 2010-01-26 at 10:53 -0600, Ryan Pavlik wrote:
> On 1/26/10 10:33 AM, Tyler Roscoe wrote:
> > On Tue, Jan 26, 2010 at 10:23:03AM +0100, Marcel Loose wrote:
> >
> >> Is that portable? I don't do development on Windows, but I vaguely
> >> remember that on Windows the ".svn" directories had a different
name,
> >> because Windows doesn't really like file- and directory names that
start
> >> with a dot.
> >>
> > Windows uses .svn directories at least since svn 1.5.
> >
> > svn 1.7 will likely change this though -- they're moving to a more
> > centralized sqlite database for the metadata store -- so I would not
> > recommend any strategy based on the existence of .svn files.
> >
> > tyler
> >
> An alternative, of course, is to implement a function or macro in a
> module distributed with CMake, that hides the process of detecting
> whether a directory is a svn working copy and can deal with current
and
> future repository formats.
>
> Ryan

That would be my suggested approach as well. Even something simple as
Subversion_is_WC(<var> <dir>), could suffice. Whether you would then
bother the user to first call that macro, prior to invoking
Subversion_WC_INFO, or let Subversion_WC_INFO do the "dirty" work, is
open for discussion.

Best regards,
Marcel Loose.