[CMake] Please support FindLAPACK/FindBLAS for C/C++-only projects

Alan W. Irwin irwin at beluga.phys.uvic.ca
Wed Jan 20 23:53:52 EST 2010

On 2010-01-21 11:03+0900 Ryo IGARASHI wrote:

> Dear developers,
>
> Currently, FindLAPACK.cmake and FindBLAS.cmake *requires* Fortran compiler.
> However, I can easily think of a situation when no Fortran compiler
> but LAPACK/BLAS
> available. Let's say:
> * Use ATLAS on VC9 (Windows)
> * Buy Intel C++ compiler but not Fortran compiler (each of them have
> MKL) (Windows/Linux)
>
> Is there any way to properly detect BLAS/LAPACK with C/C++ only project?

Those with knowledge of the Fortran versions of lapack/blas libraries may
not have similar good knowledge of the C/C++ versions of those libraries and
vice versa.  Also, the fortran version find needs may interfere with the C/C++
version find needs and vice versa.

Thus, I think it makes a lot of sense to have separate development of
FindCLAPACK.cmake and FindCBLAS.cmake (note the name change) for the purpose
of dealing with the C/C++ versions of lapack/blas.

Years ago when I started FindLAPACK.cmake and FindBLAS.cmake, I implemented
something really simple that worked for just my needs.  After that start,
Alin M Elena (who has a lot more Fortran Lapack/blas expertise than I do)
took over and vastly generalized my work.

CMake is a free software project, and Find modules are completely
straightforward to write if you have the necessary background knowledge
about the libraries involved.  Thus, I suggest because of your need to find
C/C++ versions of lapack/blas, that you should write a small
FindCLAPACK.cmake and FindCBLAS.cmake that satisfies your needs, and see
where it leads from there.

Alan
Alan W. Irwin

(lbproject.sf.net).