[CMake] Having design issues implementing Xbox360 Generator support

Alexander Neundorf a.neundorf-work at gmx.net
Tue Jan 19 16:33:39 EST 2010

On Tuesday 19 January 2010, David Genest wrote:
> > XBox is x86, right ?
>
> No, it is a Power architecture (PowerPC). But the builds can all be made
> seamlessly from visual studio.

Ok, so it is definitely cross compiling.
In the sense that CMAKE_CROSSCOMPILING needs to be set (which indicates e.g.
to TRY_RUN() that it cannot run the executables).

> > Is this cross compiling, in other words, can executables for the XBox
> > be
> > executed on the development host ?
>
> You cannot execute binaries in the development environment; it needs to be
> copied first to the development console. In a sense it is cross compiling,
> but managed by Visual Studio. So I don't think it quite fits the cross
> compiling philosophy of cmake.

What's the operating system on the XBox ?
http://blogs.msdn.com/xboxteam/archive/2006/02/17/534421.aspx
Did they really create an OS additional to the x86 Windows (NT), Win CE and
Windows Mobile ? I would guess it is based on Win CE ?
Or is it really basically Win (NT) ? :
http://www.roughlydrafted.com/RD/RDM.Tech.Q1.07/C866B1E6-BF99-43D4-A719-3AC4D347667A.html

In which way do you think doesn't it match the cross compiling philosopy of
cmake ?

> > I haven't read the remainder of your mail closely, but I think you have
> > quite
> > similar issues to the ones encountered for supporting Windows CE:
> > http://public.kitware.com/Bug/view.php?id=7919
>
> I have read the issue.
>
> The issue poster seemingly had similar problems with the
> CMAKE_C_STANDARD_LIBRARIES_INIT because he modified it in the presence of a
> WINCE variable. If I may, I think that windows-cl.cmake is making too much
> assumptions about what it will build.

Windows-cl.cmake needs to be refactored in order to support cross compiling,
XBox, Win CE etc. It will look different afterwards.

> Also, the issue talks about nmake generator, and I have not implemented
> that yet. I am not yet sure if it is possible.

I would assume it is :-)

Alex