[CMake] FindSubversion on windows problem and solution.

David Cole david.cole at kitware.com
Sat Feb 20 13:28:07 EST 2010

On Fri, Feb 19, 2010 at 8:08 PM, John Drescher <drescherjm at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Fri, Feb 19, 2010 at 7:30 PM, Tyler Roscoe <tyler at cryptio.net> wrote:
> > On Fri, Feb 19, 2010 at 06:44:20PM -0500, John Drescher wrote:
> >> Under windows I am using the cygwin svn executable for this. The find
> >> module does not automatically find subversion however if I enter it in
> >> cmake-gui in xp64 all is well and I get the expected patch version
> >> appended. However trying this with windows 7 results in cmake never
> >> completing the configure step. I could not figure that out till I
> >> started executing the svn commands cmake would inside my build tree.
> >>
> >> c:\cygwin\bin\svn info
> >>
> >> That worked fine and made me think this bug was some incompatibility
> >> with windows 7. Eventually I looked at my code again and saw that I
> >> was also using the svn log command so trying that in the command
> >> window showed the reason for the problem. I got prompted for the
> >> password to access the svn server. Since I use TortoiseSVN from
> >> explorer I had never set the password for the console svn executable.
> >
> > I think you might be asking for trouble using the cygwin svn client
> > outside of cygwin (line ending issues are one thing that springs to mind
> > but there may be others). How come you're not using the Collabnet
> > Windows svn command-line instead of Cygwin?
> >

> Mainly because I already had cygwin installed on my new machine and I
> did not want to have to search for a free windows svn client. I did
> not know using the cygwin version could cause problems.
>
> When you mention line ending problems, I had just run into a line
> ending problem but it was not caused by that. I caused this one.. The
> svn server is on linux and I imported a few old projects from cvs to
> svn and it appears that changed line endings from windows to unix. I
> did not know till I tried to open a visual C 6 project and nothing
> happened.
>
> John

The other bad thing that happens with the cygwin svn client is that files do
not get proper executable permissions. So if you have any binary *.exe
utilities or tools checked in, or any *.bat or *.cmd scripts, they cannot be
executed via a CMake execute_process unless you explicitly go in and add
executable permissions after retrieving the files from the repository. This
one usually takes somebody the better part of a day to figure out WTF is
going on.

I personally recommend avoiding the cygwin svn client on Windows AT ALL
COSTS.

:-)

HTH,
David