[CMake] cmake on multicore interix'en

Markus Duft markus.duft at salomon.at
Thu Feb 18 02:39:56 EST 2010

Ryan Pavlik wrote:
> Are you effectively just using the SUA component that is included with
> Windows?  If so, that's not too hard for someone who is already testing
> Windows to start testing on.

yeah - i'm using the SUA component, and on top of that i am building
gentoo prefix [1], which i use to replace the really, really fishy base
system that comes with the SUA SDK :) however i'm of course stuck with
that buggy libc, libpthread, etc.

BTW. at our company we're using various platforms, and we plan to use
cmake on all of them. you can check which ones by looking at the
Platform Matrix at [1]. The platforms available to haubi and me (mduft)
are the ones we're actively maintaining.

> On a semi-related note: have you considered using MSYS?  I've used it to
> build auto*-based Win32 applications, and while Windows disk access
> performance limits its speed, it certainly works well enough to use for
> my cases.

the decision to use interix has been a long time ago at my company (SFU
3.5 times), and it was taken because cygwin had big stability problems
on newer windowzes. i think msys was overlooked because it is somewhat
related to cygwin (or at least the compilers are related). also the
mingw compiler is no option for us - we needed the visual studio
compiler (i know, we could still have used msys alone).

As for disk performance: yeah - windows is dead slow for this (in
general it seems). the problem becomes worse and worse the more small
file you use... it's the same with interix.

interestingly, we're using interix now for a few years, and it is rather
stable - we're building a big "toolbox" and a product based upon that,
where the toolbox has approx 200 packages, and the product approx 9000
.cc files (we'll build that with cmake now :)). however, since i started
restructuring a little a year ago, issues seem to spring up like
mushrooms :(

[1] http://www.gentoo.org/proj/en/gentoo-alt/prefix/index.xml

Cheers, Markus

> Ryan