[CMake] CMake/CPack: empty packages

Alan W. Irwin irwin at beluga.phys.uvic.ca
Mon Feb 15 13:03:22 EST 2010

On 2010-02-15 19:25+0600 Dmitry wrote:

> Hello!
> I've started using CMake not long ago, I'm not very familiar with it yet. I
> need to generate a package with CMake, but when I try to do it, I get empty
> packages. This is my CMakeLists.txt file (just a simple "hello, world"
> application of a single .cpp file):

Some others have answered you that you need a relative installation directory.
That will work, but there is another alternative which Bill Hoffman stated
some time ago (for those who need an absolute install location)
which I will quote:

"By default CPack does not use the DESTDIR option during the installation
phase.  Instead it sets the CMAKE_INSTALL_PREFIX to the full path of the
temporary directory being used by CPack to stage the install package. This
can be changed by setting CPACK_SET_DESTDIR to on. If the DESTDIR option is
on, CPack will use the projects cache value for CPACK_INSTALL_PREFIX, and
set DESTDIR to the temporary staging area. This allows absolute paths to be
installed under the temporary directory. Relative paths are installed into
DESTDIR/${project’s CMAKE_INSTALL_PREFIX} where DESTDIR is set to the
temporary staging area.

I think you want CPACK_SET_DESTDIR, then make sure CMAKE_INSTALL_PREFIX is
how you want it before you run cpack."

I haven't tried that for myself yet, and cannot find documentation for
CPACK_SET_DESTDIR, but it is worth a try for the case where you need an
absolute install path.  I earmarked Bill's old list message with regard to
this issue in case PLplot (which must have an absolute install directory)
ever wants to distribute a binary package.

Alan
Alan W. Irwin

(lbproject.sf.net).