[CMake] How to find the DLL's a a required package searched with FIND_PACKAGE()?

Gabriel Petrovay gabriel.petrovay at 28msec.com
Wed Feb 10 17:41:19 EST 2010

Hi,

We are using CMake 2.6. For Windows we need the DLL's of the required
libraries for two reasons given below.

Take for example LibXml.dll which is required by our project in order to run
on Windows. One can build and link our project successfully because the
FindLibXml2.cmake provides:
#  LIBXML2_INCLUDE_DIR - The LibXml2 include directory
#  LIBXML2_LIBRARIES - The libraries needed to use LibXml2

But we also need a reference to the LibXml2.dll file for the following 2
reasons.

1. When you "make" the "install" target (e.g. "nmake install"), the dll of
the required library has to go into the "bin" directory, as well where our
executable.
2. We also need to set the PATH environment variable in order to execute our
own executable (during the build, a bootstrap executable). So we need it in
a scenario like:
SET(ENV{PATH} ${LIBXML2_DLL})

So, do you know a way to:
- install the DLLs belonging to a required library;
- reference the DLLs belonging to a required library during the build.

I would expect that the FindLibXml2.cmake module would also provide a
LIBXML2_DLL variable on Windows platforms.

Thanks!

Gabriel

--
MSc Gabriel Petrovay