[CMake] CMAKE_RUNTIME_OUTPUT_DIRECTORY without the extra 'Debug' or 'Release' ?

Erwin Coumans erwin.coumans at gmail.com
Sun Feb 7 21:57:40 EST 2010

Hi,

How can we specify the actual directory where the executable ends up in
MSVC, without any messing around by adding 'Debug' or "Release'?

I tried the following lines:

SET( CMAKE_RUNTIME_OUTPUT_DIRECTORY ${BULLET_PHYSICS_SOURCE_DIR})
SET( CMAKE_RUNTIME_OUTPUT_DIRECTORY_RELEASE ${BULLET_PHYSICS_SOURCE_DIR})
SET( CMAKE_RUNTIME_OUTPUT_DIRECTORY_DEBUG ${BULLET_PHYSICS_SOURCE_DIR})

But the generated MSVC projectfiles still add 'Debug', 'Release' to the
directory. How can this additional 'Debug' or 'Release' be removed?

http://www.itk.org/Bug/view.php?id=8555 suggests using the following hack:
if(MSVC)
   set_target_properties(foo PROPERTIES PREFIX "../")
endif()

The issue was discussed a few times in the bug tracker, but I couldn't make
it work with CMake 2.8.

http://www.itk.org/Bug/view.php?id=8243
http://www.itk.org/Bug/view.php?id=9163
http://itk.org/Bug/view.php?id=9924

The issue was also brought up without any solution here (I do not want to
use install targets)
http://stackoverflow.com/questions/543203/cmake-runtimeoutputdirectory-on-windows

Can someone help get rid of this additional 'Debug' or 'Release' appended to
the CMAKE_RUNTIME_OUTPUT_DIRECTORY in MSVC?
Thanks,
Erwin