[CMake] CPack 101

KC Jones kc.jones at skype.net
Thu Dec 23 15:59:50 EST 2010

> Thanks for your comments and questions. May we quote you on that? ("cmake is elegant in the extreme ... great tool")

Of course.  Since all the code I work with is published on multiple OSes, cmake is a godsend.  I'm actively working on replacing as much of our legacy build methods with cmake solutions.  The cmake basics have come relatively easily to me.  CPack is another story.

Once I get through to the end of this tunnel and have learned CPack well enough, I hope to be in a position to offer more constructive contributions to easing this learning curve.  But, like the problem you describe where there is never time for docs and never enough docs, the reality is that when my builds are humming, there will be other tasks waiting -- and the task of 'giving back to the community' somehow never rises to the top of the stack.

One thought that is jangling around in my head right now:

WRT install(CODE ...) quoting, would it be useful to support the ruby "here document" syntax?

install(CODE <<xxx
    include(BundleUtilities)
    fixup_bundle("${APPS}" "${QTPLUGINS}" "${DIRS}")
xxx
    COMPONENT Runtime)

Or is variable substitution at cmake execution time more the rule than the exception?