[CMake] CPack 101

Bill Hoffman bill.hoffman at kitware.com
Thu Dec 23 11:46:19 EST 2010

On 12/23/2010 9:59 AM, Mike McQuaid wrote:

> A few questions:
> What platforms does it need to be tested on?
At least one.  The important thing is that it actually has a test, that
will be run with make test on CMake after the code is merged into CMake.
  The dashboards will take care of testing it on platforms you don't
have.  We are also working on some interesting stuff in this area as well:

http://www.kitware.com/products/html/TheCDashHomeCloud.html

> What branch should you base it off?
master
http://www.cmake.org/Wiki/CMake/Git#Branches

There is also this article that we did on DVCS that might give some
insight on our thoughts:
http://www.kitware.com/products/html/DistributedVersionControlTheFutureOfHistory.html

> Great, I think I understand how to do that a bit better now. It would
> be great if the contents of your email above was included here:
> http://www.cmake.org/cmake/project/getinvolved.html and also possibly
> on your Github/Gitorious pages.

Yes, much of this is new stuff, so it has not yet made it to that page
yet.  I have been thinking about the issues you brought up for some time
now, and have not yet written them down.
> Thanks for the comprehensive reply and sorry for any criticism from my
> misunderstandings above.

Thanks for the post, I am glad that it is more of a "documentation" bug
than a process issue.  Being on the "inside", I of course know what I
and the other CMake developers are thinking.  It is easy to fall into
the trap of thinking that everyone knows what you know...  Although
sometimes having stuff on web pages is not enough (existence of
cmake-developers case in point...).   However, the "how to get code into
CMake" is not documented anywhere yet....

Thanks, and I look forward to you contributions!

-Bill