[CMake] CPack 101

David Cole david.cole at kitware.com
Thu Dec 23 08:24:27 EST 2010

On Thu, Dec 23, 2010 at 7:58 AM, Mike McQuaid <mike at mikemcquaid.com> wrote:

> On 23 December 2010 12:43, David Cole <david.cole at kitware.com> wrote:
> > Neither do we:
> > http://public.kitware.com/Bug/view.php?id=10067
>
> > As always, as developers we find ourselves constantly working to improve
> > what we have: fixing bugs, implementing new features, answering questions
> on
> > the mailing list, blogging/communicating about it, adding examples and
> > suggestions to the Wiki.
> >
> > The struggle is reserving enough time to contribute to documentation when
> > there are always "real" (functional) bugs to be fixed. Perpetual
> questions:
> > what's "enough" documentation?, how do we make sure people can find it
> > easily?, how do we name this better (but still preserve the existing
> names
> > for people already using it / backwards compatibility)?
>
> > I make no excuses here: yes, the CPack and CTest documentation are
> lacking /
> > lagging behind the CMake documentation. However, it will take a very real
> > and concerted and time-consuming effort to improve the situation. With
> the
> > open source nature of the project, we have to be willing to accept the
> > organic growth that occurs in the code base: the documentation will be
> the
> > same: it will improve gradually, over time, as contributors are able to
> > improve it.
>
> I think the main problem is that you make it very hard for people to
> contribute. KDE and Homebrew (two other open-source projects I've
> written a lot of code for over the years) make this very easy.

How do we make it very hard? What about KDE and Homebrew make this very
easy? Specifics, please.

Kitware is great, you clearly write good code and have done a great
> job creating CMake and CPack. They are fantastic tools. However, I
> think until you are more encouraging of external developers you will
> struggle to make huge improvements to CMake.

Thank you. Even with more external developers, I think we'll struggle --
that would just be a different sort of struggle.

> > Until then, at least the mailing list has a reasonable response rate and,
> it
> > seems, sufficient participation from knowledgeable folks willing to pitch
> in
> > and answer. So... if you're confused about something, please ask here.
> > We (I hope I speak for all CMake devs, here) take no offense. We welcome
> > discussion, always.
>
> The mailing list is OK but most people don't want to sign up to a
> mailing list and receive lots of emails that have nothing to do with
> them. I'm only signed up because I want to try and get some patches
> merged and was told that I should discuss things here rather than the
> bugtracker.
>
> I hope I don't cause any offense here either. I'm passionate about
> CMake because I like the tool and want to make it better.

Again, let me stress, no offense taken. There is no way you can offend me,
unless you start calling me names for no reason. Reasonable discussion
always welcome.

Thx,
David