[CMake] INSTALL when source file is already at DESTINATION?

Gregory Peele ARA/CFD gpeele at ara.com
Wed Dec 15 22:51:05 EST 2010

Hi all,

What is the expected behavior is for INSTALL (TARGETS) when the source file for a particular destination is already at the relevant DESTINATION?  For example, this could happen with a  Unix Makefile generator for "LIBRARY DESTINATION lib" when CMAKE_INSTALL_PREFIX/lib and CMAKE_LIBRARY_OUTPUT_DIRECTORY are the same path - the latter having been set differently than the default of course.

In practice it seems like this case works fine for all types of targets in Windows/MSVC generators, and fails only for shared objects in Linux/Unix Makefiles.  It might even only fail for shared objects with SOVERSION symlinks but I haven't confirmed that yet.    The actual shared library is being deleted at some point after build (leaving a dangling symlink) and then the INSTALL step fails because its source file is missing.

Not a big deal for me since this only comes up in very controlled circumstances in my project that are handled by macros - I skip the TARGETS install step when this will happen.   I'm just curious if this failure is expected or could be considered a minor bug.

Gregory Peele, Jr.
Senior Scientist
Applied Research Associates, Inc.
Central Florida Division