[CMake] Did anyone manage to get incremental linking working with NMake generator?

Gabriel Petrovay gabipetrovay at gmail.com
Wed Dec 8 16:05:49 EST 2010

see inline

On Wed, Dec 8, 2010 at 8:44 PM, Bill Hoffman <bill.hoffman at kitware.com> wrote:
> On 12/8/2010 2:28 PM, Gabriel Petrovay wrote:
>>
>> What does "Visual Studio Non-Incremental Link" mean in the below output?
>> In the link command below you can see the /INCREMENTAL /DUMMY options.
>> I explicitly added them now but still the same behaviour:
>>
> It means what it says.  It means it is doing a non-incremental link.  It is
> doing that because /DUMMY != /YES.

I introduced /DUMMY to see if my linker options were used. They were.
But providing any of the following options has the same effects (no
incremental linking in phase 1):
/DUMMY /INCREMENTAL (reversed order)
/INCREMENTAL (no dummy options)

Providing /INCREMENTAL:YES VS2010 linker complains that this is
deprecated and still does a FULL link.

>> What can it be the problem that I still get:
>> LINK : updtestdriver.exe not found or not built by the last
>> incremental link; performing full link
>
> It is not doing an incremental link, so it is not doing incremental
> links....

Let me rephrase the question:
In your example above, can you get rid of the following line:
LINK : Simple.exe not found or not built by the last incremental link;
performing full link
?
This is what I mean with incremental linking. Regardless of the fact
that Simple.exe is there or not you will always get this FULL linking.
Can you make this one incremental?

Or to generalize: Can one benefit of incremental linking between
builds when using CMake with nmake as generator? Or, how can one stop
CMake generate the call to mt.exe that embeds the manifest into the
dll?

> -Bill

Gabriel

--