[CMake] Did anyone manage to get incremental linking working with NMake generator?

Bill Hoffman bill.hoffman at kitware.com
Wed Dec 8 14:01:03 EST 2010

On 12/8/2010 1:49 PM, Gabriel Petrovay wrote:
> On Wed, Dec 8, 2010 at 7:09 PM, Bill Hoffman<bill.hoffman at kitware.com>  wrote:
>> On 12/8/2010 12:53 PM, Gabriel Petrovay wrote:
>>>
>>> Hi Bill,
>>>
>>> First just by running "cmake -E vs_link_exe" CMake crashes on my
>>> machine (CMake 2.8.2, Win7): "cmake.exe stopped working" "Close the
>>> program/Debug the program". Is this the right behaviour?
>>>
>> It is not meant to be a command that is called by hand, so it might not have
>> all the arguments it wants, and it crashed.  Not expected, but not that
>> harmful either.
>>
>>> Then, below is my verbose output. I see no /INCREMENTAL:YES in my link
>>> command. How did you get this in your link command? (This is anyway
>>> the default option.)
>>
>> Are you building Release?  I think CMake only defaults to incremental builds
>> for debug builds.  So, RELWITHDEBINFO and DEBUG build types will be the only
>> ones that do this by default.
>
> I am building in debug mode.

My guess is that you have modified the flags in such a way that the
incremental flag is missing.   Might be something else not sure... It is
working for me...

> So, what happens with the debug build?

It runs -E vs_link_exe.

See: cmake.cxx

http://cmake.org/gitweb?p=cmake.git;a=blob;f=Source/cmake.cxx;h=ddfdc24e8c66aa7461f859a8f77b70721a894afe;hb=HEAD

This function in particular:

int cmake::VisualStudioLinkIncremental().

-Bill