[CMake] Different configurations with Visual Studio

Mark Van Peteghem markvp at gmail.com
Thu Aug 26 04:17:45 EDT 2010

2010/7/5 John Drescher <drescherjm at gmail.com>

> > I see, thanks. I intend to write a Python script that adds the extra
> > platform solution, because we really need that. Visual Studio and
> > Code::Blocks project files are XML files, so it shouldn't be too hard.
> >

> What is wrong with different build folders for each compiler / ide?

(sorry for picking this up again so late)

We do have different build folders for each compiler / ide, but I mean
'build folder' as the folder where the object files and executable ends. We
just want one project file with different platform solutions, so we don't
have to reload the project file when we want to switch. Having two project
files in the same solution also is not an option, because the source files
and many settings are the same. Besides, this is a big solution file with
over 50 project files, so doubling that would make things a lot harder.

I don't really understand why some find this an awkward way of doing things,
it is simply convenient to have both platforms in one project file, e.g. it
is easy to build everything at once. I don't see any drawbacks.

Mark