[CMake] BundleUtilities naming and easing packaging

Mike McQuaid mike at mikemcquaid.com
Fri Aug 20 07:37:17 EDT 2010

Hi,

There's been some discussion on http://public.kitware.com/Bug/view.php?id=11126 and I raised the issue about the BundleUtilities port to Windows/Linux: the naming is so bad as to make this (pretty cool) feature completely undiscoverable.

I assumed, as I'd think others would, that this would be somehow related to creating .app bundle clones on Linux or Windows, not fixing up the dependencies and installing them. I'd argue that anything relating to the latter really belongs in GetPrerequisites and should be named differently.

For backwards compatibility purposes, obviously the current naming will still need to work but is it possible to get some of this functionality documented and described in a better location?

Secondly, I'd like to propose a function like "install_prerequisites" which would create all the INSTALL(CODE) stuff for you and call the various needed functions, just to make it easier for people to be able to use bundleutilities/getprerequisites without having to fight with INSTALL(CODE or SCRIPT) problems.

Thirdly, I often want to install prerequisites or other files into the packages generated by CPack but not when using make install. It would be good if INSTALL(CODE) or other functions could have an argument to do basically this:
  IF( \${CMAKE_INSTALL_PREFIX} MATCHES .*/_CPack_Packages/.* )
      <<<Stuff passed to INSTALL(CODE) in here>>>
   ENDIF( \${CMAKE_INSTALL_PREFIX} MATCHES .*/_CPack_Packages/.* )

I'm happy to help or develop these features, if they'd be accepted. It was suggested that both would require Kitware buy-in before I should start working on them.

Thanks!
--
Cheers,
Mike McQuaid