[CMake] 64 bit windows: rsp file not employed in build.make

Brad King brad.king at kitware.com
Mon Aug 9 13:41:50 EDT 2010

On 08/09/2010 12:39 PM, Verweij, Arjen wrote:
> Both link rules for static libraries however do not contain
> ${CMAKE_START_TEMP_FILE} or ${CMAKE_END_TEMP_FILE} yet one platform I end
> up with objects1.rsp but on the other the lists of objects are passed as
> arguments to lib. Is there some implicit rule for static libraries when
> using cl.exe?

The objects1.rsp file is generated by CMake during configuration.  The
start/end temp file syntax tells NMake to use response files at build time.
The link rule uses objects1.rsp with cl but not icl because cl.cmake has:

  SET(CMAKE_C_USE_RESPONSE_FILE_FOR_OBJECTS 1)
  SET(CMAKE_CXX_USE_RESPONSE_FILE_FOR_OBJECTS 1)

These should probably be added to Windows-icl.cmake too.  We already have

  SET(CMAKE_Fortran_USE_RESPONSE_FILE_FOR_OBJECTS 1)

in Windows-ifort.cmake.

-Brad