[CMake] still having a problem with PackageMaker, and now DEB

David Cole david.cole at kitware.com
Sat Aug 7 09:44:45 EDT 2010

On Sat, Aug 7, 2010 at 9:26 AM, Chris Wolf <cw10025 at gmail.com> wrote:

> On 8/7/10 7:14 AM, Eric Noulard wrote:

> >> Yes, I tried that about 8 hours ago:
> http://www.cmake.org/pipermail/cmake/2010-August/038785.html
> >>
> >> I have to say NOW it's working.  Sorry - I suppose I was changing too
> many things at one back then
> >> and I was missing something.
> >>
> >> Ok, this issue is resolved, thank you.
> >
> > Good to know.
> >
> > [...]
> >>
> >> Sorry to beat a "deadhorse", since I see this has already been
> discussed:
> >>
> >> http://www.mail-archive.com/cmake@cmake.org/msg16180.html
> >>
> >> I think that guy had a good proposal - being able to control path
> prefixes
> >> at a per/generator level.  I guess for now, I can just run cpack
> multiple
> >> times with path/generator options on the command line.
> >
> > I think you are right, command line is the current best way to go.
> > Now having a Generator Specific
> > CPACK_<GEN>_PACKAGING_INSTALL_PREFIX
> > wouldn't be that difficult to implement.
> >
> > Now when enough [wo]man power will be given in
> > http://public.kitware.com/Bug/view.php?id=7000
> > this can be discussed.
> >
> > Re-read the bug comments and may be add your ideas there.
> >
> > And I do not think the horse is dead, we are merely waiting
> > for a jockey for ridding bug #7000 :-)
> >

> Ok, I added a note to this bug with an example proposed code change.  If it
> looks good, I can try it myself and if it works I can submit patches.
>
> Let me know, thanks,

You can already do what you propose with that change today: in a
CPACK_PROJECT_CONFIG_FILE
file. (Without making any C++ changes and without waiting for resolution of
issue #7000...).

Inside that file, you can inspect the value of CPACK_GENERATOR and
set/override other CPACK_* variables. In this case, you would have as many
if() blocks as needed to set CPACK_PACKAGING_INSTALL_PREFIX to whatever
value you want for each generator.

The CPACK_PROJECT_CONFIG_FILE file is included *at cpack time* and is
intended to give you the hook you need to do generator specific stuff.

Perhaps the proposed change is still a good one and would make this task
easier. Although it seems silly to me to invent a bunch of new variables
when there's already a technique that could be used to achieve the task
today. We already, as you have observed, have enough "prefix" variables
floating around. I'm not sure adding more is the way to go.

HTH,
David