[CMake] still having a problem with PackageMaker, and now DEB

Chris Wolf cw10025 at gmail.com
Fri Aug 6 21:36:34 EDT 2010

On 8/6/10 8:55 PM, Eric Noulard wrote:
> 2010/8/6 Chris Wolf <cw10025 at gmail.com>:
>> Earlier, I identified a problem with the "PackageMaker" (Apple) packager,
>> and now, I see the same exact problem with the "DEB" (Debian)
>> packager - it keeps prefixing "./usr" to all the paths.
>>
>> Changing CPACK_PACKAGING_INSTALL_PREFIX doesn't do anything
>> (even when it's at the top of the file)
>>
>> This problem does not occur with packagers of type "DragNDrop",
>> "TGZ" and "TBZ2" - these are Ok.
>>
>> Any help would be great, thanks...
>
> Did you try the command line?
>
> cpack -D CPACK_PACKAGING_INSTALL_PREFIX="/opt" -G DEB
>
> it works for me.
>
> if it works for you may be
> CPACK_PACKAGING_INSTALL_PREFIX is set to late
> in the CMakeLists.txt?

Yes, I tried that about 8 hours ago: http://www.cmake.org/pipermail/cmake/2010-August/038785.html

I have to say NOW it's working.  Sorry - I suppose I was changing too many things at one back then
and I was missing something.

Ok, this issue is resolved, thank you.

However, this override effects ALL the generators at once, including TGZ, TBZ2, etc.

Generally, for a plain tar archive, absolute paths are not good, but for installer
packages, such as DEB, RPM and PakageMaker (MacOS) absolute paths prevent the
non-technical end user from shooting themselves in the foot.  The presumption is
technical people who understand the risks and may need the flexibility to relocate
an installation would go with a binary tarball with relative paths.

Sorry to beat a "deadhorse", since I see this has already been discussed:

http://www.mail-archive.com/cmake@cmake.org/msg16180.html

I think that guy had a good proposal - being able to control path prefixes
at a per/generator level.  I guess for now, I can just run cpack multiple
times with path/generator options on the command line.

Thanks,

   -Chris