[CMake] Building source RPMs?

Magnus Therning magnus at therning.org
Thu Aug 5 15:55:55 EDT 2010

On 05/08/10 20:25, Alexander Neundorf wrote:
> On Thursday 05 August 2010, Magnus Therning wrote:
>> On Thu, Aug 5, 2010 at 10:39, Eric Noulard <eric.noulard at gmail.com>
>> wrote:
>>> What is your usage pattern?
>>
>> We ship most of our sources as source RPMs since most of our changes are
>> added patches to upstream (CentOS) RPMs.
>>
>> It is just nice to also ship the source of our own code as RPMs rather
>> than as tar-ball.  However, I don't see a big problem with simply
>> dropping use of CPack and writing the SPEC files manually.  It would
>> just be a nice-to-have is all.
>
> Somehow I don't really understand how a source RPM or source deb
> generator would make sense for CPack.  E.g. a source deb is the plain
> source package, plus an optional patch, plus a file which describes how
> to build it.  IMO the patch would be always non-existent if generated
> with CPack (since this generates the package directly from the original
> source tree), so the only thing left would be to generate the spec file.
> I guess for a source RPM it's similar ?

You misunderstood me.  Our stuff consists of two types of RPMs:

 1. Source taken from upstream distro (CentOS), with patches added.
    We use the source RPM upstream provides, with minimal changes to
    SPEC files to get our patches into the resulting binary RPM.  To
    comply with licenses we ship source RPMs that include our patches.
 2. In-house developed code.  The current build system builds binary
    RPMs, since that's what the installer is good at handling.  It
    also simplifies distribution of updates.  The build system also
    spits out source RPMs, since some things require releasing of
    source.  This is what we're looking at building with CMake/CPack.
    Hence my question.

Hopefully this makes it clearer.

/M