[CMake] [cmake-developers] Support for multiple components in cpack

Eric Noulard eric.noulard at gmail.com
Mon Aug 2 18:57:23 EDT 2010

2010/8/2 Clinton Stimpson <clinton at elemtech.com>:

>> Waiting for feedback before going on
>
> So I wondered if we were basically getting 3 modes out of this:
>
> 1. put multiple components in one components aware package (nsis, packagemaker,...).
> 2. put multiple components in one non-component aware package (tar.gz, .zip...).
> 3. put multiple components in multiple packages (all cpack generators).
>
> And how does one choose the behavior they want?

1. or 3. depends on the package capability.
Typically NSIS and PackageMaker may prefer 1. but you cannot do 1. with
DEB or RPM so you have to go with 3.

2. may always be an option because it was the behavior we had before the
component support and ALL CPack generator may handle an all-in-one package.
We could add an OPTION like CPACK_COMPONENT_ALL_IN_ONE which
would basically tell CPack to ignore the component aspect.

3. is an option for any current packages including tar.gz, zip etc...
    (and probably even NSIS and PackageMaker).

So I would say that depending on the generator "intrinsic" capabilities
it should (in that order)

chose 2) if CPACK_COMPONENT_ALL_IN_ONE is True
chose 1) if possible
chose 3) if possible
chose 2) as a failover.

--