[CMake] Effort to create a new generator (tup)

Gustavo Sverzut Barbieri barbieri at profusion.mobi
Thu Apr 22 15:47:47 EDT 2010

Hi all,

My team is just starting with CMake to have our WebKit port (EFL), so
far we like it as it is much cleaner than our previous experiences
(most of our projects use autotools).

Since webkit is a monster project (1668 objects generated), even doing
stat() on all files takes time, so make when there is nothing to make
takes more than we'd like. To solve this there are alternatives to
"make" that are quite nice, giving UNIX the speed other projects that
uses all-in-one IDE/compiler have, they do track the files that
changed and there is no need to check, you already know what changed.

One of the alternatives is tup (http://gittup.org/tup/index.html), it
uses Linux inotify support to track what changed and is quite nice.
All it need is a tupfile that represents a DAG, one can see examples
in http://gittup.org/tup/examples.html   Tup also traps open() system
calls using LD_PRELOAD and will automatically know the dependencies
based on files it reads.

As we never attempted to do any sort of CMake generator, not even
looking the existing, I'd like to know the expected effort to write
one for Tup from you guys. Anyone that would like to help with this
task?

BR,

--
Gustavo Sverzut Barbieri