[CMake] CMake built with Apache stdcxx has problems?

Attila Nagy nagy.attila at yahoo.com
Tue Apr 6 10:18:15 EDT 2010

Hi all,

I regularly build Slicer on Solaris x86_64, with Sun Studio. The latest version of Studio (12.1; CC 5.10) supports compilation with the use of Apache STDCXX (*), as it is integrated into Solaris (yes, into the OS itself, into /usr/lib).
Since Apache stdcxx is far more standards-compliant (**), _and_ Slicer is undergoing a transition to Qt, which happens to be supported to be built with this library on Solaris, I began to rebuild Slicer's whole tool-chain with stdcxx.

I found a really interesting issue:
If CMake is built with Cstd, or stlport4, there are no problems.
When, however, CMake is built with -library=stdcxx4, I get strange errors during Slicer's configure step. Interestingly, other CMake-based projects do not exhibit this behavior (VTK, ITK, teem, for example).

Example config errors can be found here:
www.orl.szote.u-szeged.hu/~attila/slicer.cmake.configure.error1.txt

subsequent configure retries yield even more strange errors:
www.orl.szote.u-szeged.hu/~attila/slicer.cmake.configure.error-re-run.txt

I did these experiments on the _same_ CMake source (checkout).

If someone thinks that this issue might worth to be investigated, I would be glad to help - but I need guidance! :)

Thanks,
Attila

(*) To be precise: Studio 12 supports this too, but with more flags; see the man page of stdcxx4 on Nevada b125 and up.
(**) far more standards compliant than Cstd, and more standards compliant than the current STLport4 (that is included with the compiler collection only) that can be found on Solaris - and more up-to-date.