[CMake] CMake 2.8.0 RC 1 ready for testing!

Martin Apel martin.apel at simpack.de
Mon Sep 28 11:10:13 EDT 2009

Hi all,

thanks for your efforts to improve CMake. Especially the support to run
tests in parallel is really great!
However I found a few quirks in the first rc:
1. I have quite a lot of Fortran files in one of our projects. We use
the Intel Fortran 11 compiler to compile these.
    When gathering the objects into a static library CMake 2.6 used to
call "ar" and "ranlib".
    Now it seems to call the Intel tool xiar, which in turn calls xild
and this step takes ages (about one minute).
    I know that Intel recommends to use xiar instead of ar, but it used
to work for us to use ar, which is
    much faster (about 3 seconds). This is an issue which might keep us
from upgrading to 2.8, so it would be nice to have a
    way to restore the old behaviour or to tune the xiar call.
2. Fortran-related as well: On Linux we used to link in the following
Intel Fortran libraries explicitly: ifcoremt, imf, irc.
    With CMake 2.8 the following additional and unneeded (for us)
libraries can be found on the command line for the linker:
    ifport, ifcore, svml, ipgo, intlc, irc_s. As we do not copy these
shared libraries to our runtime directory, the resulting
    executables do not run. This means, that 2.8 is not
downward-compatible with 2.6 in this respect, so I would have to
    code a version check into the CMakeLists.txt. Is this intended
behaviour? Or can I tell CMake not to add any additional
    compiler libraries?

Apart from these two issues, it works great for me. Until now I only
tested it on Linux, but I will check on Windows as well.

Regards,

Martin