[CMake] Xcode projectRoot, projectDirPath and SCM

Brad King brad.king at kitware.com
Tue Sep 22 10:19:50 EDT 2009

Baron Roberts wrote:
> Folks, I am generating Xcode 3.1 a project using cmake 2.6.2. I have noticed
> that I am not able to connect the generated project to my Perforce SCM
> system such that the files in the project are recognized as being in the
> repository. While Xcode is able to access the repository itself, it will not
> associate the project's files with it. After looking at the generated
> project file, I believe I have found the problem.
>
> It appears that projectRoot must be set to the empty string ("") in order
> for SCM to associate the source files with the repository. In addition, the
> project file (wrapper directory) must either be at the top of the source
> tree or the projectDirPath attribute must be set to point to the top of the
> source tree.
>
> So it seems that cmake's Xcode generator should not put the path to the
> project file in projectRoot but in projectDirPath and that projectRoot
> should be set to "". Since it appears that there have been a number of
> issues about the setting of projectRoot by cmake, I am interested in what
> people think about my findings relative to their own experiences.

I just came across this post while investigating this issue:

  http://www.cmake.org/Bug/view.php?id=8481

The same must be done for debug breakpoints to work.

A patch was committed to CMake CVS HEAD a while back to fix it, but is
causing some other problems.  I'm working to address all of this now.

If you sign up for the bug tracker and click "Monitor Issue" in the above
link you will get automatic updates.

-Brad