[CMake] Does CMake 2.6-patch 4 support MS Visual Studio 2008?

Bill Hoffman bill.hoffman at kitware.com
Fri Oct 30 13:32:13 EDT 2009

Dixon, Shane wrote:
> Are you running from the command-line or from the cmake-gui?  If you're
> running from the command-line, you need to be sure to run it from the
> visual studio command prompt because it's picky about the environment.
> When I generated visual studio 2008 projects in CMake 2.6, I always used
> the cmake-gui and it worked.  Check your environment because I'd say 80%
> of the time I had troubles, the environment was the culprit.

The environment should only matter with makefiles.  The IDE projects
should work from any environment.

This is an interesting message:

'H:\dev\esp\trunk\main\models_build_win_msvc2008\CMakeFiles\CMakeTmp\CMAKE_TRY_COMPILE.sln'
   is from a previous version of this application and must be converted in
   order to build in this version of the application.  To convert the
   solution, open the solution in this version of the application.

It seems that it is using a different version of devenv to build the
project than the generator that it is creating files for.

What are these values in your cache:
CMAKE_MAKE_PROGRAM:FILEPATH=C:/PROGRA~1/MICROS~1.0/Common7/IDE/devenv.com
MAKECOMMAND:STRING=C:\PROGRA~1\MICROS~1.0\Common7\IDE\devenv.com
CMake.sln /build Release /project ALL_BUILD
CMAKE_BUILD_TOOL:INTERNAL=C:/PROGRA~1/MICROS~1.0/Common7/IDE/devenv.com

-Bill