[CMake] file(DOWNLOAD ...) SSL support

Michael Wild themiwi at gmail.com
Mon Nov 30 10:38:49 EST 2009

On 30. Nov, 2009, at 16:33 , Bill Hoffman wrote:

> Michael Wild wrote:
>> Hi all
>> Are there any plans to enable SSL-support in the CMake-included
>> CURL library?
>
> The CMake binaries will never ship with ssl (due to export control
> issues).  However, you can build CMake yourself and turn on the
> build option to use SSL with the CURL.  I might be able to start
> shipping curl as a dll that could be replaced with an ssl version
> without having to rebuild CMake.  I did test this, it worked.
>

> -Bill

That's not a real solution for me, since I intend to distribute my
source code and people won't be happy if their download fails. And
replacing the DLL/so/dylib isn't an option either, because this
requires too much manual intervention.

That means I'm probably stuck with searching for wget/curl, using them
if present, and if they fail (or are not present), tell the user to
download the file with his browser and put it in a specific directory.

I wonder how e.g. Microsoft, Apple or Mozilla deal with these
ridiculous export control regulations?

Michael