[CMake] Eclipse CDT 4.0 + CMake (2.8.0)

Alexander Neundorf a.neundorf-work at gmx.net
Wed Nov 25 13:12:08 EST 2009

On Wednesday 25 November 2009, Michael Jackson wrote:
> The downside of Option #2 is that Eclipse will end up putting
> the .project and .cproject files in your source directory which some
> folks did not like, which is why they wrote the Eclise CDT generator.

"Some folks" being the cmake developers.
The problem is that when a project generator does that, it is not possible
anymore to have multiple buildtrees for one source tree. So this is indeed
something ugly. But the reason is that _eclipse_ does not work properly if
the project files are not in the source directory somehow.

> For me, Option #2 is worth the couple of downsides.
>
> <disclaimer> I also wrote the Wiki entry for option #2 so I am partial
> to it.</disclaimer>

In cmake 2.8.0 the support for eclipse has improved compared to 2.6.x. Now
eclipse knows all the include dirs and builtin macros so completion should
work better.
Also It now nicely fills in all the available targets provided by the
makefiles into the targets tab of Eclipse.
And probably more which I can't remember right now.

> If you are using CMake with Eclipse you might want to have a look at
> <http://cmakeed.sourceforge.net
>
>  >. If you _do_ use CMakeEd, please do post feedback to the CMakeEd
>
> forums on Sourceforge letting us know if you find it useful or not.

We use it, it's nice :-)

Alex