[CMake] CMAKE_USE_RELATIVE_PATHS

barcaroller barcaroller at sympatico.ca
Sat Nov 21 10:24:41 EST 2009

This is a follow up to the message ("Setting variables in CMakeLists.txt")
that I posted on April 30th, 2009.

I am now using cmake 2.8.0 and the CMAKE_USE_RELATIVE_PATHS variable still
does not work.  It does work for in-source builds (when I build the object
files inside the 'src' directory) but it does not work for out-of-source
builds.

The cmake documentation does specify that CMAKE_USE_RELATIVE_PATHS may not
work in complex projects but my project could not be simpler (see below).

  project

     +--- src     <- contains CMakeLists.txt

     +--- build   <- cmake ../src ; make

All directories reside on a local disk.  When I build from the build
directory, the gcc compiler uses absolute pathnames no matter what value the
CMAKE_USE_RELATIVE_PATHS  variable is set at.  This means that the __FILE__
macro uses absolute pathnames, which totally screws up the log files.

Will this ever be fixed or should I give up on out-of-source builds?