[CMake] NMake Generation Error: machine type 'X86' conflicts with target machine type 'x64'

Aaron_Wright at selinc.com Aaron_Wright at selinc.com
Fri Nov 13 11:56:09 EST 2009

I'm not moving CMakeCache.txt around. I start with a completely new and
empty folder each time. I run CMake and it thinks that the target machine
is x64. I don't specify any funny business with cross-compiling to a
different target machine or anything.

I understand the "ctest -S" for night builds and dashboards and whatnot,
but the company already has their own night build system and dashboard and
I have to fit their model, which is not that hard, I just to automate this
build. NMake seemed to be a good idea, but CMake seems unable to configure
for it in one pass.
Aaron Wright

Richard Wackerbarth <rkw at dataplex.net>
Sent by: cmake-bounces at cmake.org
11/13/2009 08:46 AM
Please respond to
Richard Wackerbarth <richard at nfsnet.org>

Aaron_Wright at selinc.com
cc
CMake <cmake at cmake.org>
Subject
Re: [CMake] NMake Generation Error: machine type 'X86' conflicts with
target machine type 'x64'

Aaron,

Perhaps I have it wrong, but I think that the problem is that you are
using CMakeCache.txt that was created on a different machine.

CMakeCache.txt acts as a "configuration file" that overrides the registry,
environmental variables, and everything else that has a default value.
This allows the user to define the values that he wishes to have used.

As for automated nightly builds, the standard technique is to use "ctest
-S" to set up and run the dashboard. In that case, you usually have it
delete the previous build directory and you populate the initial cache
with only those values that you wish to "force" (for example, you might
select a particular compiler for one run and another for a different run).
Variables that you want to have their default value are simply omitted
from the initial cache.  See the notes files on almost any of the nightly
submissions to the CMake dashboard for examples.

Richard

On Nov 13, 2009, at 10:25 AM, Bill Hoffman wrote:

> Aaron_Wright at selinc.com wrote:
>> I've tried this on several machines and CMake always seems to think the
box is x64 even though it clearly says it's x86. I can fix the problem by
deleting CMakeCache.txt and running CMake again, which is weird. I'm
trying to automate the whole thing in a night build script so this
behavior is not helpful. Ideas?