[CMake] Difference between IMPORT/EXPORT and External Project

Dixon, Shane Shane.Dixon at atmel.com
Tue Nov 10 12:27:08 EST 2009

I'm trying to figure out in what scenarios one might use import/export verses using the new ExternalProject_add.  I'm having a hard time understanding what the differences are.  I have a project that builds in simulation mode (using microsoft cl compiler) and once testing is done, it's cross-compiled for real deployment (using a custom version of gcc).  Right now I have it as an ExternalProject that builds the project with a different compiler depending on which option one selected.  I read that IMPORT/EXPORT commands are meant for cross-compiling.

When would one pick one method over the other?

--
Shane Dixon
Linux Engineer