[CMake] simple ctest

Adolfo Rodríguez Tsouroukdissian dofo79 at gmail.com
Thu Nov 5 09:50:28 EST 2009

On Thu, Nov 5, 2009 at 3:26 PM, <th.tom at gmx.de> wrote:

> OK, i ran into the same problem again! everything on my system is cristal
> clear and even though, I got these strange repeating messages - I give up. I
> give it a whole day and I got to the same point as befor... so this day is
> lost.
>
> I believe the presentation tomorrow will come to the conclusion, not to use
> cmake :-(. Mainly because the available documentation including "Mastering
> CMake" is actually not sufficient specially for people just don't want to
> understand all the inner behavior. I can not hand this system over to
> someone else, because I believe I have to be available over months to
> maintain the system.

This sounds a bit pessimistic. Looks more like you're being bitten by a
tight deadline ;). Usually setting up nightly builds and dashboards is not
what your usual programmer does. This is more the work of someone (like you)
that knows these specifics. For everyday tasks related to adding targets,
tests, external dependencies, I think the existing documentation is quite
good, although it can surely be improved in certain places. Sequences of
common things that your group of programmers do on a daily basis and in a
structured way can usually be encapsulated in macros and functions, so their
life becomes easier and less error-prone (many projects have their own set
of specific cmake macros/functions tailored to their needs). If you do not
want to expose certain 'inner behaviors', consider this as an alternative.
Just to feed my curiosity, what is the existing alternative you're measuring
cmake against?, is it a custom solution or is it based on well-maintained
projects, is it targeted to a single or multiple platforms/programming
languages, and last but not least, is it documented as you would expect
cmake to be?.

Good luck tomorrow with your presentation. I hope it all goes as expected.

Adolfo.

> I see the advantages of cmake, specially for people that have the time to
> dig into the wiki, the internet an all available resources. But for people,
> how don't have the time to go this trial and error path, it's really hard,
> to make time estimations, how long things will take.
>
> I believe I get ctest scripting to work reliably! But I can not say when.
>
> So I will go making weekend now :-)
>
> -tom

> http://www.cmake.org/Wiki/CMake_FAQ

Adolfo Rodríguez Tsouroukdissian, Ph. D.

Robotics engineer
PAL ROBOTICS S.L
http://www.pal-robotics.com
Tel. +34.93.414.53.47
Fax.+34.93.209.11.09
AVISO DE CONFIDENCIALIDAD: Este mensaje y sus documentos adjuntos, pueden
contener información privilegiada y/o confidencial que está dirigida
exclusivamente a su destinatario. Si usted recibe este mensaje y no es el
destinatario indicado, o el empleado encargado de su entrega a dicha
persona, por favor, notifíquelo inmediatamente y remita el mensaje original
a la dirección de correo electrónico indicada. Cualquier copia, uso o
distribución no autorizados de esta comunicación queda estrictamente
prohibida.

CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE: This e-mail and the accompanying document(s) may
contain confidential information which is privileged and intended only for
the individual or entity to whom they are addressed.  If you are not the
distribution or use of this e-mail and/or accompanying document(s) is
strictly prohibited.  If you have received this e-mail in error, please
immediately notify the sender at the above e-mail address.