[CMake] Suggesting to FindQT4.cmake where to find QT4

Jed Brown jed at 59A2.org
Mon May 25 17:48:33 EDT 2009

Andreas Pakulat wrote:
> On 25.05.09 23:17:55, Jed Brown wrote:

> As soon as people start installing differing versions of the same
> software into the same prefix they've already screwed up anyway. Thats
> not supported by any software I use on a daily basis (even KDE3 and KDE4
> are only co-installable in some parts into the same directory).

Suppose I have one version of Qt in /usr and a different one in
/usr/local.  Similarly, I have different versions of Foo in those
directories.  These are completely unrelated packages so this actually
isn't that rare, or especially bad organization.

>> With autoconf, for example, you would normally be able to specify
>> --with-foo-dir=/path/a --with-bar-dir=/path/b.  I don't see why there
>> is so much resistance to making this sort of thing work in a reliable
>> and consistent manner.
>
> Because in the case of Qt4, qmake already knows _exactly_ where
> include's and libs are for the version it has been built with. That
> information is hardcoded into qmake (adjustable by qt.conf based on
> qmake's absolute path). So there's simply no need to go through the
> hassle of specifying both separately.

foo and bar are completely *unrelated* packages.  I should be able to
choose their installations independently, and without needing to
manually flush the cache in the build directory (admittedly the deeper
issue here).

Jed