[CMake] CMake and Visual Studio

John Drescher drescherjm at gmail.com
Sat May 9 18:03:01 EDT 2009

> Thanks. I tend to either use vim or PSPad. I think editing CMakeLists.txt to
> add the new file, then `touch'ing the new file, should work?
Yes.

> I suppose cmake
> would have to be called again though.

If you click compile in visual studio. It will execute CMake
automatically if you changed any CMakeLists.txt file in the source
tree.

>>> I am confused at that question.
>>> I have my code organized as
>>>

>> Project
>>    Src
>>    Include
>>    Libraries
>>         Internal
>>            someLibrary
>>                Src Include someOtherLibrary Src Include
>>

> Well, I mean that it'll be quite a large project, so I will probably be
> organizing my source files into subfolders of src/. Unfortunately, it seems
> that Visual Studio won't recognize these subdirectories, but will just list
> all the files under "Source Files," and the same for header files.

There is a way to do this in CMake. I something to do with source
groups I have never used this though. I tend to organize all of my
large projects in several static libraries. And each of these has its
own src and include folders.

>> Here is an example of mine..
>>

> Thanks, that helps a lot. I'm still learning about the best way to do
> certain things.
>
> I notice you have a libraries directory. How do you manage external
> libraries, especially if they aren't by default built with cmake?

I have not used any that do not already have a CMake finder so I am
not sure. I am still new at this. I have used CMake on 1 application
with ~12 internal libraries and a library only project in the past
year. This totaled around 55K lines of C++ code and 200 to 400 source
and header files.

> I'll be
> using an audio library and I'm not really sure how to include it.
>
> Also, I need to include boost, but most examples I've seen just search for
> boost on the system, so it is somewhat of a prerequisite.
>
> Thanks a lot for the response.

Your welcome..

John