[CMake] Bug in if/else/endif in combination with option?

James Bigler jamesbigler at gmail.com
Tue Mar 31 12:21:37 EDT 2009

CMake if commands are interesting in the sense that variable names can be
used directly.  In most other languages you have to explicitly dereference
the variable to get the value out.  I think when you use a string that is
the same name as a variable you are getting problems.

         if(variable STREQUAL string)
         if(string STREQUAL string)

According to the docs, only the RHS should have a possibility of being
dereferenced, however emperical evidence suggests otherwise.

set(var "stuff")
set(stuff ON)
if(var STREQUAL "stuff")
  message("var STREQUAL stuff")
else()
  message("NOT var STREQUAL stuff")
endif()

var STREQUAL stuff should return true.  var should get dereferenced to
"stuff" and that should match "stuff" on the LHS.

This isn't the case if stuff is defined.  Uncommenting out 'set(stuff ON)'
makes the if statement behave properly, because stuff can't be dereferenced
(it's a string and not a variable).

So in your code when you compare opt to "fine", the behavior changes based
on whether you have defined fine as a variable or not.

In your other post, you said it worked if you used MATCHES instead of
STREQUAL.  I just verified that MATCHES isn't dependent on whether the LHS
string is a variable name or not.

I think this is a bug with STREQUAL, so I filed one.

James