[CMake] Need ability to install only dll portion of target (no lib)

Clinton Stimpson clinton at elemtech.com
Fri Mar 27 15:52:55 EDT 2009

Also, if you want to support the .lib for development installs, then you
can do something like

INSTALL(TARGETS mytarget
 RUNTIME DESTINATION bin COMPONENT Runtime
 LIBRARY DESTINATION bin COMPONENT Runtime
 ARCHIVE DESTINATION bin COMPONENT Development
 )

Then when you invoke the install, you specify Runtime and/or Development.

Clint

James Bigler wrote:
> Awesome!  That worked.
>
> Thanks,
> James
>
> On Fri, Mar 27, 2009 at 1:15 PM, Clinton Stimpson <clinton at elemtech.com> wrote:
>
>> INSTALL(TARGETS mytarget
>>  RUNTIME DESTINATION bin COMPONENT Runtime
>>  LIBRARY DESTINATION bin COMPONENT Runtime
>>  )
>>
>> The .lib gets installed if you specify the ARCHIVE DESTINATION or just plain
>> DESTINATION.
>>
>> Clint
>>
>> James Bigler wrote:
>>
>>> When using install(TARGET) with a shared library, I get both the dll
>>> and the .lib (if there were exports) installed.  I'm trying to do a
>>> binary distribution, and I don't need or want the .lib portion.
>>>
>>> Is there a way to tell cmake to not install the .lib portion?
>>>
>>> I filed a bug on this, but there hasn't been any response on it.
>>> http://www.cmake.org/Bug/view.php?id=8781
>>>
>>> The bug basically proposes using a special location (perhaps /dev/null
>>> on all platforms) which is understood to mean don't install that
>>> component.
>>>
>>> Setting a target property also won't work, because I want to install
>>> the library more than once (once for devs and once for binaries).
>>>
>>> Would a possible work around be running some kind of script after
>>> things are installed and remove the offending file?
>>>
>>> Thanks,
>>> James