[CMake] CMake and multiple Microsoft compilers on windows

Bill Hoffman bill.hoffman at kitware.com
Fri Mar 20 15:46:14 EDT 2009

John Drescher wrote:
>>> Makes sense. So then I should be opening cmake-gui from the compiler's
>>> command prompt instead of the shortcut on the desktop. Not a big deal
>>> I am one to use the command prompt all the time windows or linux..
>>>
>> I'm not very familar with cmake-gui but I don't see another option.
>>
> Thanks. You got me to thinking...
>
> When I think of it, there is a second option for me. This is to setup
> the environment variables to default to VS2005 since I build all my
> CMake projects under windows with that version. The rest of the
> compilers except 2008 are for application support for software I wrote
> under MFC years ago. When you run the IDE for each of these it does
> not use the environment variables anyways and my old non cmake build
> process (my own batch files / installer generator) for these directly
> sets up the environment for each application projects.

If you use the IDE generators for CMake, you do not need to modify the
environment at all.  It is only when using nmake or make, that you need
an environment that is setup to run the compiler.   If you do want to
use nmake, VS 2003 and above have command prompts that can be found in
the "Visual Studio Tools" menu of the Start menu.   Just run the one you
want, then run cmake-gui from the command line:  c:\Program Files\CMake
2.6\bin\cmake-gui.

-Bill