[CMake] warning "safe linker search path"

Brad King brad.king at kitware.com
Mon Mar 9 13:38:53 EDT 2009

John Biddiscombe wrote:

>>> OK. I'm using 2.6.2 I'll let you know if the problem continues with
>>> 2.6.3 or later
> so I've been using 2.6.3-rc 14 for a while now
>
> /apps-vis/cmake-2.6.3-RC-14/bin/ccmake --version
> ccmake version 2.6-patch 3 RC-14
>
> and the warnings still appear,
>     link library [libGLU.so] in /usr/lib64 may be hidden by files in:
>       /usr/X11R6/lib64
>     link library [libGL.so] in /usr/lib64 may be hidden by files in:
>       /usr/X11R6/lib64
>
> but I see that the problem might be 2 levels of indirection, the symlink
> points to another symlink which is the same file

That doesn't matter.  The same-file check can deal with any number of
symlinks.  I bet you have "libGLU.a" files in /usr/X11R6/lib64 too.
They are responsible for the warnings because CMake cannot be sure the
linker will choose the right file when given "-lGLU".

BTW, the only reason CMake needs to order the directories is because
of compatibility with how CMake 2.4 ordered them.  You must be setting
CMP0003 to OLD.  If you set it to NEW you should never see this warning.

-Brad